Thursday 6 August 2015

Lulu's Adventures on MyBus





I wrote the following in March of this year:


Today I am going out on my own. In my wheelchair. On a special bus. And I am waiting for it to come. I don't mind telling you, I am absolutely terrified. 

The woman from the 'MyBus' scheme has phoned and I've spoken to the driver as they can't find my address (common problem- new build estate!) and they were both absolutely lovely. But still, I am panicking about the whole thing. 

Now, I consider myself to be a strong and capable woman, but I seem to have got myself into a right state about this. 

Things that are worrying me- my neighbours will see me getting into the special bus in my wheelchair so I will be 'outed' as a disabled person, I might feel unwell and I'll be out by myself, my wheelchair might run out of batteries and I won't have anyone to help me, I might make myself very unwell by doing it at all and end up back in bed for days. 

It's a big undertaking. It's the first time I've been out and about by myself in a long, long time. I have a knot in my stomach. 

Please let it be ok. 

Here I go!  
 


Well since writing that post I am  happy to report that I have now been on the MyBus a total of three times. I have gone to my local shopping centre twice and once to my local library. All three times went well, I felt pretty ropey (okay, VERY ropey), but I always do when I'm out and about anyway. Nothing terrible happened and the coffee I bought myself tasted better than any other coffee ever. 
 

It tasted of the sweet, sweet taste of independence. 







2 comments:

  1. That bit about the coffee. So spot on. I am incredibly happy for you and feel such a sense of pride. Seeing this huge milestone being smashed by you gives me so much hope for your future and mine. A huge HUGE well done to you. I hope you'll enjoy every minute of those little trips out and about xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I'm so glad you managed to overcome your fears and get out on your own. I was really self conscious about going out on my mobility scooter for the first time in front of neighbours but once I had done it I was so glad. x

    ReplyDelete